Friday, July 25, 2008

Still Hasn't Sunk In Yet

I defended my thesis successfully yesterday. It was really intense but a lot of engaging questions were raised and everyone there complimented me on my answers and calmness. I can't believe that I am done. I just have to make some minor revisions and then print the copies to be bound by the library. It is so exciting to have a Master's. Since Heather defended yesterday (which was overly success), every time she does something I say "that is your first time doing _____ with your master's." I have started doing it for myself as well since yesterday afternoon.

It just feels crazy to think that we will be moving back to the U.S. in about a week. Having worked for two years on one project is something new and I am glad that it has worked out so well overall. My extremely kind adviser came to the bar after the defense and graciously bought pitchers for a few of the grad students that came to the defense. It was a nice celebration. Today we have been invited to a celebratory/going away BBQ. It will be sad to leave our friends, but moving onto to the next part of our lives will be really exciting. Seeing all our old Utah friends will be really fun as well.

Because I am a bit of a masochist, I found a couple jobs I could not pass up applying for in Washington D.C. It was actually kind of fun updating my resume. The jobs that I see are really interesting and would be really exciting as careers. It is cool to be in a position to try out careers and still have a lot of options to fall back on if I decide it isn't exactly what I want. The possibility of doing a PhD is still out there but I think that getting an idea of what is out there for the types of jobs I want first is a good idea.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Congratulations to the both of you!