Thursday, July 3, 2008

I <3 Computers

So the other day Heather and I got asked by the second adviser on her committee to present in the graduate methods course on going from the prospectus to writing your thesis. My presentation was going pretty well until I started explaining the importance of a good way of organizing your computer files and articles as you work. I talked about creating a library folder and then having a consistent naming scheme that would allow you to find the files you need easily. One of the older PhD students (the same student who once said she was so frustrated she wanted to "take my kayak and paddle off into the sunset"), asked a couple questions about the program I used to organize citations, Endnote. Those questions went fine but I wasn't sure if she was understanding my answers.
It became clear when she said "Also, what do you mean create a library folder?" To which I explained that it was a place to put your various pdfs of articles that you will accumulate.
She responded quickly "Oh I get that, but how do you create a folder?"
Confused I said "On a computer?"
She said "Yeah, do you mean like a word folder?" (as if such a thing exists) At this point I was at a loss for words, students obviously had similar experiences like this with her in the class and giggled and rolled their eyes.
The professor chimed in "No, just a regular computer folder."
"Uh, yeah, just right click to create a new folder where you want it" I said, not sure if the idea of right clicking would make her head explode.
"Well I'll just ask you more about it later" the student said to me.
At this point I was looking for the exit to make a run for it. My presentation ended and Heather started hers. When Heather was in her first few minutes the fire alarm went off and we had to file out of the building. The kayak lady cornered me outside and said "Well I am really bad at the computer so I'll email you in a couple weeks and we can get together and talk about" At this point she knew I was defending in less than a month which means I have to turn in my final draft in two weeks. In less than a week from the defense we will be moving back to the U.S. The last thing I have time for is helping someone learn to right-click and create a folder. Why did I say yes....

1 comment:

Holly said...

Hey Eagan!
That story is hilarious! Thanks for sharing it. It reminded me of a skit from Saturday Night Live that I saw once:
"You have to learn computers!"