Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer Heat

Ok, so I am a wimp. I never claimed that I would be able handle the heat and humidity of a Washington D.C. summer. Every time someone tells me this is a "mild" summer, I just want to curl up and die. Growing up in Montana we had about 9 months were it could conceivably snow. When it was hot (it could get up into the 100s) it was a dry heat that only required a spot of shade to find comfort. There are lakes in Montana that never completely unthaw and mountains which have snow year-round.

Moving to Northern Utah near the end of high school meant longer and generally hotter summers than I experienced in Bozeman, but once again it was a dry heat, easily conquered through shade or light clothing.

Then I made that move that broke my weather tolerance. A beautiful, temperate rainforest in Vancouver, BC. The weather usually hung between 50 and 70 year-round. It never felt muggy, despite the higher humidity. Our apartment had only a measly heater and no air-conditioning. However, neither were ever needed as you could regulate your temperature year round simply by opening the window. Sure there was a hot day here or there, or a chilly evening when it snowed, but I have never been more pleased with weather than I was living in BC. Some would dislike how often it rains. But I personally enjoy the rain and grey skies. Often when we would walk around campus there would be a mist in the air unlike anything I had ever seen or felt.

While I love Washington D.C., I can now certainly understand why people take a long vacation in August...

2 comments:

Kayla said...

I honestly cannot picture D.C. being hot. Whenever I even think of D.C. I picture those brutually cold winds that smack you silly. woweee.. i just got the shivers thinking about that

Eagan said...

I forgot how cold it was when you were out here. Amazingly, that was an uncharacteristically cold week. Probably the coldest of the whole year.

The weather is generally pretty mild. Though with your love of heat, you would probably be the only guest that would choose to visit in August!