Friday, July 9, 2010

Bibliophilia

There is a fun site called Lookshelves that has people present a photo of some part of their bookshelf and then answer five simple questions about their collection. Instead of a picture, here is a link to my Shelfari, a site that allows you to put books on a virtual shelf to keep track. My shelf on Shelfary contains about 1/3 of our current collection.

1) Who are you and where are you?
My name is Eagan and I am in Washington, D.C. (well technically Silver Spring, MD -- which is just outside the DC border, but most people have no idea where that is)

2) What do you do for work?
I am a health care analyst for an arm of Congress which provides oversight of the federal government and publicly spent funds.

3) What do you do for fun?

Spending time with Heather. This often includes hanging out at bookstores, seeing new exhibits at D.C.'s many museums and galleries, trying new restaurants, watching movies, and discussing politics.

4) Tell me something about your bookshelves.
Our bookshelves are currently the largest and cheapest that Ikea had to offer. We have four of them and they each fit around 200 books. However, they are all completely full and we have had to resort to stacking books on top of the books on the shelf. We also have one bookshelf from my Mom's old toy store.

5) Tell me something about ONE of the books on your shelf.
The most bookmarked book I own is Development as Freedom by Amartya Sen. In grad school it was my bible but I haven't gone back to it much since then. I am sure I will read it again soon and the ideas in it still influence my work greatly. It comforts me to know it is always there.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I always love checking out Lookshelves. It's absolutely brilliant that they came up with a website to satisfy my voyeuristic needs when it comes to checking out people's possessions.

Although I know what your (our) book collection looks like -- and I pretty much know what your answers would be to the questions -- I still found this post neat. It's interesting to see what ONE book you ended up picking.

Heather said...

*I made it sound like they created Lookshelves FOR my benefit. Like they created it to suit my needs. I meant to say "it's absolutely brilliant that they came up with a website THAT satisfies my voyeuristic needs..." Haha