Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Anniversary Post - Part Two

Things began to look up as we got into October. The nibbles became interviews and our level of comfort with the city began to grow. When we originally came out, I figured would we end up in one of the many suburbs I lived most closely to for my internship: Crystal City, Pentagon City, or Alexandria. However, we kept an open-mind and were introduced to Silver Spring by my dad's friend. We came out and went to the downtown. My first impression was that it was just an overly- gentrified suburb like many of the other sleeper-cities that ring D.C. (I would later find out how wrong I was).

Searching for apartments is tedious at best. Having to do a walk through with property managers is like a trip to the dentist. We get it, the place has windows, thanks! As the downturn was just beginning in September, apartment places started giving out better and better deals. It seemed like each new week, apartments would be giving one additional free month of rent. This gave us an opportunity to look at some apartments that were slightly more expensive than we were planning originally. Sadly, these ones ended up being the biggest disappointments and we passed them over.

At around this time I had a couple interviews that went really well. One in particular (at GAO) ended up with me pretty sure I would get the job. However, just to be sure we had something, I took another interview the same week with a job I would have only taken to have a job, despite the good pay. One of the managers babbled on for 20 minutes about how he came up with the name and had been thinking about it since he was 13... The name was so generic I couldn't tell which of the 5 companies that came up when I Googled it was theirs (turns out none of them, they didn't have their site up yet...).

The job offer from GAO came at just the right time and offer of employment in hand, we began the apartment hunt in earnest. In our second trip to Silver Spring we visited a few apartments within walking distance of the metro. One really fit our needs and was throwing in free underground parking. We had found a home. Now we needed a bed.

Little did I know, bed shopping is even more tedious than apartment shopping, especially during a downturn. The desperate looks on the salespeople's faces as we would enter was enough to make you cry. Obviously it had been a rough month, because everywhere we went they were ready to pounce and throw you onto the first queen-size in range. Luckily, we knew what we were looking for and ended up finding a better deal than we were expecting.

Job, check! Apartment, check! Bed, check! We were now ready to have our stuff be delivered from Utah, and to start a real life. Our first year has gone by better than expected in most ways and we now feel fully settled in. I am continually amazed by the amount of great stuff going on in town and how easy most of it is to get to.

Looking back, I still get butterflies when I think about arriving at the hotel that first day. There are some times in your life when you realize things could have taken a completely different turn. That was one of those times. I am glad it has worked out for the best.

6 comments:

emma said...

aw i love you two! i'm so glad you have found your home in DC!
but what do you mean bed shopping is tedious?! it's so fun! you get to try all the different beds. i recently went bed shopping with a friend of mine, and then the sales guy kept looking back and forth between us while filling out the paper work. uh, i have my own bed thanks! i'm not getting in to his! then we went across the street to a jays game and got drunk. the end.

Eagan said...

Ha!

I am glad your bed shopping went well. It was nice to try out all of the beds. Just the sad puppy-dog eyes of the sales staff as we came and went broke my heart!

Kayla said...

i am so glad you guys are in DC. That is such a rocking town.
I can't picture the need to go bed-shopping when you all have such a comfy couch. wowee--i miss sleeping on that couch!!
But i guess i did mark it mine when i peed all over it while staying there..so it was a necesity you guys got your own place to sleep on. you're not letting anyone sit on my bed, are you?

emma said...

wait!! i slept on that bed! was i post-pee or pre-pee?
and if i was post-pee, how come i did not hear the story?!?!

Eagan said...

Lol, Kayla. Don't worry, we make all our other guests sleep on the hard floor.

Emma, Kayla is referring to metaphorical pee. Haha, but seriously, it would take more than a little pee to stop someone from sleeping on something that comfortable.

That extremely old couch has been a bed for countless friends and family and you are both more than welcome to come out again soon.

emma said...

yeah it's true. if you had told me that she had peed on it, my response would probably be...
"tell me the story" [pause] "let's watch some more sex and the city before i go to sleep on this wonderful cozy couch."