Sunday, June 28, 2009

Heading to Utah

This Friday Heather and I head to Utah for Heather's brother's wedding. It will be my first big break from work (and my first time using a whole chunk of my annual leave). I am really looking forward to it. Heather has been able to go out and visit Utah a couple times since we have been out here, but this will be my first time since last August when we stayed there for almost a month after grad school. It will be really nice to see family and friends and to eat at our favorite restaurants. It will be nice to meet Matt's fiance, Dai Li, as she sounds really nice. It will also be nice to go drinkin with Davis, as he always holds a special place (for alcohol) in my heart. It will be fun to see Holly and Davis's apartment, near where I used to live in Logan. It will be nice to talk politics with Kayla, and conspiracy theories and politics with Denise. Another thing I look forward to, surprisingly, is running into some of the Logan locals we always happen to bump into while we are out there. It will be nice to go up to USU and drop in on some of our favorite professors while we are there. Though we will be out there a little more than a week, I know it will go by in a flash.

I thought by this point in the job I would feel like I needed a break. I really haven't gotten that feeling yet; looking forward, I think that means that I am in a good spot. I still really enjoy my first career position and can imagine myself working at GAO for awhile.

Back to Utah, if only to clear my head and have a reference of the places we need to go:
Crumb Brothers (mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cinnamon pull-a-parts....)
El Toro Viejo (some of the best Mexican food ever and ludicrously strong margaritas)
Callaway's (I have been going to this place since it was a one room restaurant with a handful of tables and like 3 staff members)
Cafe Rio (One of the best fast-fresh restaurants in the country... If only they would open one in my bedroom)
Firehouse (Amazing foccacia and where the ranch flows down like water)
Mazza (SO EXCITED, this place has been a staple of our SLC trips since I was a sophomore in high school and Mazza was serving on Styrofoam plates)
Cafe Trio (amazing New American/Italian fusion food, with desserts that bring tears to my eyes)
Taco Time (I know, not that crazy, but the one in Logan makes a mean bean chimichanga. And there aren't any Taco Times out here)
Logan Burgers and Sandwiches (Great family run joint with probably the most expansive vegetarian menu in Logan)
Indian Oven and Tandoori Oven (Amazing Indian food at both, though our loyalties lie with Tandoori oven. However, we may end up going to both)
Casper's (Amazing shake and ice cream place - one of Kayla's many attempts to give Heather and I diabetes)

That list makes our plate look pretty full (both literally and figuratively) but we also hope to squeeze in time with family and friends and pets.

No comments: