Sunday, May 17, 2009

Six Months Down...Forever to Go

Last week I had my first Performance Review Group (PRG) at work. It was actually a really good experience and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. The PRG itself is the culmination of 3-4 weeks of preparation and ratings. The first step is a self-assessment which is then reviewed by my supervisor and their supervisor. Luckily, I have received lots of positive feedback since I started working and was told that there wouldn't be any surprises in my actual review. It is nice to have others agree with your own assessment of your work and accomplistments. 

Also very nice is the raise that accompanies each six-month review. Given the current economy, I almost feel bad getting a raise considering most people would be happy just to have a job. I guess that is one of the perks of being a fed. The whole process of the review and the subsequent feedback was really good. I think it is smart to have regular reviews and raises in the first couple years; both for the employee and for GAO. It definitely helps retain staff and can also help them identify when someone may not be a great fit. 

In other news at work, I got the opportunity to cover a Congressional hearing on a GAO report for our Congressional Relations staff. It was a fun opportunity and it was nice to be back on the Hill. It reminded me of all the time I spent there on my internship, and I was suprised that I still knew my way around pretty well. A couple days after the hearing I wandered back up to the Capitol after work and just walked around. It really is amazing to live and work so close to so much. Heather recently got an issue of a local magazine that was listing some of the reasons it is great to live in Washington D.C. One of the ones I really appreciated was "You can see the sky." Being from "the Big Sky State" (Montana) it is definitely something I appreciate. There is something nice about the limitations that the city puts on tall buildings. It certainly allows much more sunlight and fresh air to mingle with the sights of the city. 

Looking forward, I can see myself here for a long time. It is now to the point that I am completely used to my schedule and commute. I don't even have to think about it and I enjoy both being at work and my time off. I don't feel overworked and I also don't get bored. I guess my only fear is losing that hunger. I am afraid of getting too comfortable. That burning drive for progressive causes and social justice is something that must be continued and nourished. Luckily, there are lots of great opportunities, both with and outside GAO, to remain involved in such causes. 

No comments: