Saturday, March 28, 2009

New Adventures

With the recent return of Spring, Heather and I have begun planning some fun and exciting things we would like to do while in D.C. Today we are heading down to the Kite Festival on the National Mall which sounds like it should be a lot of fun. It is always timed to coincide with the Cherry Blossom Festival, which we are also excited to see. Some locals are whining about how many tourists there are and how they "don't know anything", but I am just glad to live in a place people are excited to visit. If you just expect things will take a little longer than normal, you won't get frustrated.

On Monday night, Heather and I will be going to hear William Julius Wilson, a noted sociologist, speak about his new book More than Just Race at one of our favorite bookstores. I am still amazed by the amount of great authors that regularly come to this particular bookstore. I have already read the whole book despite it coming out in early March, because I am nerdy like that. It should be an interesting talk and discussion afterwords. 

Also on our list is to visit the National Zoo. From what I have heard, Spring is a great time to visit the zoo and the animals are quite lively. I can't believe all the free places in this city and how well they are kept up. Between the Smithsonians and all of the federal sites, I can't imagine when I will actually have to start paying for my entertainment again.

I am starting to accumulate some decent holiday leave and so Heather and I will have to start planning a bigger trip somewhere exciting, hopefully this year. We would both really like to hit up multiple destinations in Europe. It feels weird to have to plan out my breaks as opposed to just having them set for me...

No comments: