Monday, February 4, 2008

First Tutorials

After finishing my first few weeks of tutorials I can say it was much better than I thought. I was particularly concerned about early semester jitters making discussion difficult. They seem like good groups and we have had quite good discussions with all but a couple people making regular comments. I try not to push the shy folks too much, especially since they usually seem to be engaged with what others are saying but have that deer-in-headlights look whenever I look at them after asking a question. I really thought that it would be more difficult to fill up two hours of time, particularly when I am only facilitating discussion as opposed to lecturing. All or nearly all of the students seen to read each week, though the past week had a lot a of reading and I overheard many saying they didn't get through all of it.

The tutorials are definitely more work than the lab consultation position I had for SA 355 but I think it is good to have a change of pace. Also, chairing meetings of the SA grad caucus makes facilitating discussion less of a daunting task. I am enjoying the opportunity to do something new. It is funny to have the students ask directly for my opinion on the topics on which I am facilitating discussion. I don't mind giving my opinion but I am afraid it will cut discussion short if I say too much so I usually am brief and turn it into a question. This seems to work well. I realized I had established rapport with my students when one said "see you later, man." I can't imagine him calling the professor "man", but I could be wrong. Also funny is the student that wants to know the exact structure of the final paper and final exam on the first day of class. The instructions will mean more to you once you have at least completed the first assignment and even the mid-term. I also have a student who takes all the key terms out of the books and makes flash cards for them, now that is my kind of student.

1 comment:

sarah jane said...

Flash cards--the sign of a brilliant student. The first few weeks of class are always a bit jittery for me too, but now I seem to have found my stride and figured out most of my students. It takes a bit to learn the dynamics of the class and see what sorts of questions and class activities that they respond to. I personally love the deer-in-headlights gaze--it's much better than the this-is-so-boring-I-want-to-shoot-myself glare. Thankfully I don't get one very often, it only surfaces when I'm talking about MLA citation.